Sunday, June 16, 2013

Grapefruit & Basil Soda


Happy Father's Day to all the papa bears out there! I got to have breakfast with mine and Mr. Vittles (who just celebrated his first, yay!)

Soon we will be leaving for a barbecue to celebrate with my father-in-law.  Didn't get to see my stepdad today but hopefully I'll see him this week.

Hope you all got (or have plans) to celebrate with your favorite dads in your life!

Mr. V and I usually don't get too crazy with the presents, especially now that we're married.  But his first dad's day is a special one, so I thought he deserved something really neat.


It's tough to find gifts for him that do not involve tools (something I know nothing about) or fishing/hockey equipment (something I might know even less than nothing about).  But I do know that he loves Adirondack chairs, and loves rocking chairs, and has been talking about both of them for our deck.

I didn't even know they made this, but I was actually able to find him a rocking, adirondack chair.  How cool is that?


Perfect place to sip a nice, refreshing Grapefruit & Basil Soda this summer!

Grapefruit & Basil Soda
  • 1 oz. basil simple syrup (see recipe below)
  • 5 oz. plain seltzer
  • 3 oz. grapefruit juice (I used the refrigerated, 100% juice but freshly squeezed would be great)
Mix ingredients in a tall glass.  Add ice to fill, and garnish with additional basil leaves if desired.  Serve immediately.  Makes one drink.  **Feel free to experiment with the ratio of ingredients here- I happen to like my soda a bit less sweet than others may enjoy.  You can adjust to your liking.  (Can also add a little vodka or other liquor to make this a tasty "adult" beverage!)

Basil Simple Syrup

  • 1 C. water
  • 1 C. sugar
  • 6 large basil leaves, torn in half horizontally

Place ingredients in small saucepan over high heat.  Bring to a boil, and stir until all sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat, let basil steep until syrup has cooled.  Strain out leaves.  Refrigerate leftovers.

Original Recipe, inspired by Club Monaco's Culture Club Blog

3 comments:

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...