Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Thai-Style Iced Tea


In college, my two best friends there Natalie and Flavia were both vegetarians and Thai is one of their favorite cuisines.

They are the ones who introduced me to Thai food, and since then I've never looked back.

My past 3 birthday dinners with Mr. Vittles were spent at our local Thai restaurant.  (Mr. V is not as much of a fan as I, so that's why I always pick it then - he can't say no!)

Usually when I eat out, I get water to drink and maybe an appetizer to share on rare occasions.  But every time I have Thai food, I'm sure to get spring rolls as an appetizer and thai iced tea to drink.

After my birthday last month, I decided to see if I could replicate Thai-style iced tea at home (spring rolls, no - I'm not even going there).  A lot of online research seemed to suggest I had to buy some sort of orange "Thai seasoning" powder from an Asian market.

Yeah... not so much.

But I didn't give up, and my perseverance led me to SustainabiliTEA, the weblog of Arbor Teas, where I learned I could can make it by simply brewing strong black tea & adding sweetened condensed milk, sugar, and evaporated milk. 

Ok, now we're talking.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it tastes just like you'd get at a restaurant - but it's pretty darn close, and I like the fact that I can use items readily available at any supermarket.

And the best part is - I don't have to wait til next February to enjoy this yummy drink.

Thai-Style Iced Tea

  • 8 bags high quality black tea (I used organic 'breakfast blend' black tea)
  • 4 C. boiling water
  • 1/3 C. sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 T. sugar (you can use more or less to taste, but Thai iced tea is usually very sweet)
  • 3/4 C. evaporated milk (most traditional) or half & half, whole milk, or coconut milk
Steep tea bags in boiling water for 5 minutes, then remove.  Add sugar and sweetened condensed milk immediately, and stir to combine.

Refrigerate until ready to serve.   Add ice to 4 glasses, and pour tea mixture over ice.  Top off each glass with evaporated milk, but do not stir - it should remain at the top of the glass as it's own layer.  Serve immediately.

Note: The color is not very orang-ey, so if you want to make it look more authentic you can add a little yellow and red food coloring to the mixture before refrigerating it.

Recipe Adapted from Arbor Teas

15 comments:

  1. Ohh your tea sound divine! I love Thai too but my hubs is not big fan as well:)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thai is one of my favorite foods! I've made fresh rolls before but I can't seem to make a good peanut sauce. :( I think I'm going to have to give Thai ice tea a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thai is my favorite food too, and luckily my whole family love it too. I am a big fan of Thai tea so thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love thai food. spicy!! nway thanks for sharing the recipe. gonna try this tea soon.

    from KL with love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. With the condensed milk it becomes more a dessert :) Yes, I have had this tea and I love it, but I say nothing beats a home brew !

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS I made a Brazilian lemonade a while ago which called for condensed milk too - http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com/2011/02/brazilian-lemonade_1201.html
    Happy wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So great to know how to make this at home! I'm totally addicted to Thai tea and order it out all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember my first time having Thai iced tea and it was incredibly delicious. I couldn't get enough of it and think I ended up stuffing myself on it alone. It's a for sure thing I will order spring rolls and chicken green chile. I need to find a recipe for that still! I never put thought into making it at home so thank you for the idea! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. generally actual thai tea does not need "thai seasoning" or food coloring. there is a loose leaf kind for thai tea that I have used to brew in the past that only needs sugar and half and half to mix. I'm not sure if the loose tea is available at all Asian markets but I got mine from a relative that co-owns a boba shop that makes thai tea. slightly similar to black tea but more fragrant as the loose tea prior to brewing smells exactly like brewed thai tea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never had Thai tea before but I am always a fan of new beverages!

    Thanks for sharing at the hearth and soul hop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can picture myself now sitting outside in the warm summer heat sipping this delightful tea. It looks so refreshing!

    BTW, I have an award for you on my site. You are one talented Gal and I sure love reading your amazing posts and recipes:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had this but I will surely try it! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - this looks soooo refreshing! This is PERFECT for my new weekly linky party - Foodie Friday! Everybody has linked up food but no drinky-poos! It won't be a party without refreshments!

    If you got a sec, please link up!

    Found you on Blue Cricket Design!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Thai Iced Tea so much!! Maybe I'll make this tomorrow... Yummm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really i found this article more informative, thanks for sharing this article.
    Best Parboiled Basmati Rice

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...