Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Three Cheese Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna


Tonight was one of those nights where I looked in the fridge & realized I had a multiple things open that were about to go bad.

More specifically, I had roasted red peppers and ricotta that needed to be used STAT.  I also had some provolone on it's last legs.  And last week I noticed a package of no-boil lasagna noodles hiding in the back of a cabinet that were only half-used.

From, oh, a year or so ago.

I guess it doesn't matter?  But still, they are taking up precious storage space in my cabinets.

Hmm... what to do, what to do.

Clearly all signs were pointing to red pepper lasagna.  So I decided to wing it and see what I came up with.

The results were pretty stellar, if I do say so myself.  Super cheesy and a little zippier than your usual lasagna thanks to the roasted red peppers.

I was wondering if Mr. V would notice anything different, but I just asked my usual "How is it?"

"Good."  Pause.  "Really good."  Longer pause.  "What's in it? Jalapenos?"

Which of course cracked me up, but I guess he was on the right track.  He said it tasted "way better than regular lasagna, which is usually really boring."

Maybe it's the Italian in me, but I love when I find new ways to get the V Man to enjoy pasta :)

Three Cheese Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna
  • 1 C. roasted red peppers
  • 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
  • 8-10 fresh basil leaves
  • 1/2 t. onion powder
  • 1 t. minced garlic
  • freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 C. ricotta cheese
  • 1 C. grated mozzarella, divided
  • 8 no-boil lasagna noodles
  • 8 slices provolone cheese
  • 4 T. freshly shredded parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In blender or food processor, pulse red peppers, sauce, basil leaves, onion powder, garlic & black pepper briefly until red peppers are pureed & leaves are chopped throughout sauce.  Set aside.

In small bowl, combine ricotta and 1/2 C. mozzarella (reserve other 1/2 cup).

Lightly grease a 2-quart square baking dish with non-stick spray, and pour 1/2 C. of the red pepper sauce on the bottom of dish.  Top with two of the noodles, side by side, so bottom of pan is covered.  Then layer ingredients as follows:

-spread half the ricotta mixture over the noodles
-top with 2 T. parmesan cheese
-pour 1 C. red pepper sauce on top
-place 4 slices provolone
-place two more noodles on top
-remaining half of ricotta mixture
-two more noodles
-4 slices provolone
-two more noodles
-the rest of the red pepper sauce
-sprinkle with other 2 T. parmesan
-sprinkle with reserved 1/2 C. mozzarella

Cover dish tightly with foil and bake 45 minutes.  Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes.  Then remove from oven & let stand 15 minutes before serving. 


Original Recipe

3 comments:

  1. Friends served this to us Saturday and my husband LOVED it and I even liked it! I do NOT like peppers...not red, yellow, green, jalapeno, nodda! I actually went back for a 2nd helping and the red peppers didn't talk back to me as much as I feared they would. The timing of this was perfect b/c we are having a friend over on Christmas that is vegetarian, so I think we are making this for her. THX for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Michelle D-S I'm so glad that you liked it! I think the roasted peppers give it a nice flavor without being too overwhelming. This would be a great dish for your vegetarian friend, hope she likes it! Happy Holidays :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...