Thursday, May 6, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake Cookies


This Sunday is Mother's Day.

Last year on Mother's Day, I went to a flea market with my mom, and we picked out plants for her garden and my deck.  Then we went back to my house and I cooked breakfast for her and my stepdad.

Now this is my first Mother's Day in 27 years without my mom, and all I have left of her are these memories.

  Me & Momma Vittles - Mother's Day 1986

I am thankful to have an amazing stepmother and mother-in-law to celebrate with, but I would do anything to celebrate with her too.

So if you have a mother (and/or mother-figure) in your life, I hope you let her know how special she is to you every single time you have the opportunity.

Don't wait for a special occasion. You never know what tomorrow might bring.

But Mother's Day is the prime time to show her that she means the world to you, so don't drop the ball on this one.

Tell her how proud you are to have her as your mother.

Tell her you're sorry for all the times you were god-awful to her (I don't care how awesome you are now - you were god-awful to your mother at some point in your life.)

Tell her how much you appreciate everything she's done for you, and all the sacrifices she's made for you.

Tell her how happy you are to have her in your life.  

Just tell her you love her.

And these cookies might help get your point across.


 


Strawberry Shortcake Cookie
  • 12 ounces strawberries, hulled & cut into 1/4" dice (2 C.)
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 3 ounces (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 2/3 cup light cream
  • Sanding sugar, for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 375 degrees & line baking sheets with parchment paper.  Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.

In a separate large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 7 tablespoons granulated sugar.  Cut in the cold butter with a pastry cutter, or rub in with your fingers, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Stir in cream until dough starts to come together, then stir in strawberry mixture.

Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough onto baking sheets spacing evenly apart & sprinkle with sanding sugar.

Bake until golden brown, 18-22 minutes. (Monitor carefully towards the end). Transfer to wire rack & let cool.

Cookies are best served immediately, but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.


Recipe Adapted from Martha Stewart Living, June 2009

4 comments:

  1. I bet you could do a lot of the early stages with a food processor. It makes adding the little butter bits so much easier. It might even chop up the strawberries for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea, I didn't think of that. I might be afraid to use it for the strawberries though, I wouldn't want them to get too soupy... They already make the batter pretty wet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very nice idea! I have lots of strawberries here so I might as well as work on it now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm- these cookies sound great too! I just printed another recipe for Strawberry Lemon Muffins a couple of days ago- yummy combo!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...