Sunday, May 2, 2010

Ricotta Cookies


This post is dedicated to my husband's uncle, Carl Vittles.

When I first started this blog a little over a month ago, he was not only very supportive but very excited.  And when I saw him yesterday at a 50th birthday party for another uncle, he informed me that he was anxiously awaiting a post about his favorite cookies - ricotta cookies.

Which was very convenient, since I had made just them for this very celebration!  They are a very simple & soft white cookie that everyone seems to enjoy.


Now let me just explain that no one in Mr. Vittles' family is Italian.  So when I first brought these cookies to a family function, they got some strange looks.

If you're not Italian, you may not be familiar with dessert items made from ricotta cheese...  it's not just for lasagne & baked ziti, people!

I also think I had to repeat the name of these cookies about 20 times that night.  My family says ricotta something like "re-GOA-ta" (not totally it, but close enough) where pretty much everyone else pronounces it like it's spelled.

I don't know why, it's just a thing with Italians. You know, like "mozzarella" verses "MOOTZ-a-rell."  Especially when you're referring to the fresh variety.

If I ever said 'fresh mozzarella' I think I'd be disowned.

Anyway, it seems the deliciousness of the ricotta cookies broke the 'language barrier', and they've become a new family favorite.  Which says a lot, because there are a lot of talented bakers with wonderful recipes in this family!

But Mr. Vittles and my stepdad could both single-handedly mow through a batch in a matter of days.  And at the party last night, the only thing left on the platter was some crumbs and a few rogue sprinkles.

So this one's for you, Carl V - enjoy :)

Ricotta Cookies
  • 2 C. sugar
  • 1 C. butter, softened
  • 2 C. ricotta cheese
  • 2 t. vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 4 C. flour
  • 2 T. baking powder
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 1/2 C. powdered sugar
  • 3 T. milk
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
Preheat oven 350.  On low, beat butter & sugar until blended.  Then increase speed to high and beat until light & fluffy (about 5 more minutes).

On medium, beat in ricotta, vanilla & eggs until combined.

Reduce speed to low & add flour, baking powder & salt.  Beat until dough forms. 

One tablespoon at a time, either drop cookies onto greased sheet or form them into balls.  (Balls are a little easier to ice later because they don't have pointy edges).

Bake 12-15 minutes until lightly golden.  Cookies will be soft.

Cool completely on rack.

Prepare icing by combining powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth.  Food coloring can be added to glaze if you prefer colored icing.

Glaze cookies, and decorate with sprinkles if desired.  Put back on rack to dry.

Recipe Origin Unknown

4 comments:

  1. Okay these look seriously yummy...but I'm extremely curious! Do they taste cheesy? (obviously I am no italian haha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No cheese taste at all! The ricata just makes them super soft. My husbands mom made them....yummy!

      Delete
  2. They are much like the Italian Knot Cookie, however richer and moist. They are worth the try.Italian cookies are the best......ENJOY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...