Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Chili Lime Basmati Rice


Recently, Mr. Vittles' aunt Michelle Vittles was kind enough to share a recipe from one of her favorite cookbooks called "Lemon Spiked Basmati Rice."

This recipe sounded awesome, but I can't help but get a little nervous when I see "rice" in the title of a recipe.

Now here's a confession that's probably more embarrassing to me than being afraid of moths (which are vile creatures and I don't know why everyone isn't afraid of them?)

I can't cook rice.

I don't know what it is about the preparation of this silly grain that eludes me after all my time in the kitchen.  But somehow it either comes out too wet, or gets stuck to the bottom of the pan.

Or then there's my favorite scenario- where it comes out too wet ... and then I get impatient because it was timed perfectly with the rest of my meal which is now getting cold ... so I blast the heat to speed things up and end up burning it to the bottom of the pan.

Argh!!

I've tried rice all different ways, with all different cooking times and ratios of rice to water, yet somehow it comes out wrong 99% of the time. 

Nonetheless, I read on when I got this recipe and saw something miraculous - while the initial cooking is done on the stove, the rice itself is cooked in the oven.

This I had never tried.

So of course I had to give it a shot.  But I was making it to go with a Mexican dish, so I decided to switch things up a bit and use lime instead of lemon, chili powder instead of cayenne, and add some fresh cilantro.

I even cut the onions!

And let me tell you something.

I can do this.  It's amazing.  And it's delicious.

Chili Lime Basmati Rice
  • 1 C. basmati rice, rinsed & well drained (uncooked)
  • 3 T. butter
  • 3/4 C. onion, diced to about 1/4"
  • 1 1/2 t. minced garlic
  • 1/2 t. chili powder
  • 1 T. fresh lime juice
  • 1 1 /2 t. minced lime zest
  • 2 T. cream (or milk)
  • 1 1/4 t. salt
  • 1 T. chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 T. thinly sliced chives
Preheat oven 375 degrees.

Place well drained rice in a 1 1/2 quart baking dish.

Melt the butter in a nonstick or heavy saucepan.  Add onion & saute over medium heat until soft, about 2 minutes.  Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.

Add chili powder, lime juice, lime zest, cream, salt, and 1 1/2 C. water - bring to boil.

Stir entire mixture into the rice in baking dish.  Seal tightly with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender & all liquid is absorbed.

Fluff with a fork, then fold in chives & cilantro before serving.

Recipe Adapted from Dishing with Kathy Casey

15 comments:

  1. Don't feel bad about cooking rice - I'm alot older and success is still touch and go for me. I just keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to cook rice the simple way and the plain way. This is something new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of the Mexican rice that I've been making lately to accompany our enchiladas. Also uses the oven: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/simple-mexican-rice/detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of making this and the recipe doesn't give the amount of water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well what do you know... people have told me that they made this but no one ever mentioned I forgot the water! It's 1 1/2 C, thank you for bringing that to my attention and I'm sorry I didn't notice it sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. RICE:
    This little gadget is my second favorite purchase of my life. No fuss no muss or however that goes. http://www.target.com/p/nordicware-rice-cooker/-/A-694598 $6.00 @ Target. I was raised on rice since I was about 6 months old. Ive tried plenty of rice cookers. Blah! I stumbled upon this little bad boy and have been in heaven for few years now. The only thing to learn is your own microwave. The cook time varies because all microwaves are different. Mine is usually 10-11 minutes and I have wonderful fluffy rice. I hope you enjoy. oh and I have a back up in the closet just incase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Gina, I will definitely have to check that out!

      Delete
  7. tasty basmati rice dish that is easy to cook using Pure Basmati rice, which enhances and complements the fragrant flavours of any rice dish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this for dinner tonight and loved it! After making it, I thought that it needed salt. I looked and found salt in the ingredient list, but noticed that it was not found in the directions. Therefore I failed to put it in my rice before baking. I thought you might want to list it in your directions. I went ahead and added the salt before we ate it. I will definitely be making this again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for pointing that out! I have updated the recipe & I'm glad you still enjoyed it!

      Delete
  9. I have never tried this recipe before but it seems so delicious so I m must gonna try this at home just telling about this recipe to my mom

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, waiting for a more new post. Keep Blogging!

    Fortified Rice

    Long Grain Basmati Rice Brands

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good article, like it! Appreciate the patience in putting up such determined content. Thanks for the time and effort.
    largest producer of rice

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...