Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Marinated Flank Steak



Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned.  It's been a week since my last blog post.

Ack!  I apologize to my few but loyal readers for this little break, especially so early in my blogging career :(

But Mr. Vittles and I have been very busy this past week... doing so many good things!

Mr. V has been working on getting our boat ready to go back in the water (with some sweet new upgrades, might I add, like a GPS and fishfinder!).  Now this is hard to do when you are working 13 hour days, 6 days a week :(  But, it's almost ready!

As for yours truly, I did a walk for Parkinson's in NYC this weekend with my girlfriends Nessa and Smary Vittles, which was awesome.  We had a ton of fun and it was for a good cause to boot!

AND, I have been preparing for my own event that is very close to my heart - a brunch in honor of Momma Vittles.  I can hardly believe it, but this coming weekend will mark 6 months since she left us... I miss her every day!

But the good news is I am totally ready to celebrate her life in a fun way, with our family and friends, in just a few weeks.  And since I've been in DIY withdrawl since the wedding, I've been reveling in the small details of this celebration :) 

The restaurant where I'm having it will be handling the main fare, but I am responsible for dessert.  So I decided it would be fun to do a dessert buffet of all bite-sized treats, and I've been hunting for recipes.  (Which I will, of course, share with you all when the time comes.) 

I also collected & sorted through tons of old pictures to make a slideshow DVD chronicling my mom's amazing life.

 
Momma Vittles and me circa 1986

Which turned out to be a much bigger and more emotionally difficult undertaking than I originally thought... but I am so happy with the result!  I can't wait to show it to everyone at the brunch.

Anyway, the reason I'm going on about all this is - since I've been so active in other areas, I've been rather lazy in the cooking and blogging areas!

So being as though I have barely cooked or baked, and the things that I've made were nothing spectacular, I am going to cheat a little.  I have a recipe for you that I actually have not made since March, when we celebrated Pammy and Douggy Vittles 30-year wedding anniversary.


Now this is a recipe whose origin is unknown to me.  My grandmother passed it on to my mother, who passed it on to me ... via a TYPEWRITTEN copy that is simply titled "Marinade for Meat."

Meat?  Hmm... way to be specific.

But my mom always used flank steak, and my grandmother prefers skirt steak.  I'd imagine you can use whatever you want, but those are the tried & true cuts.

Now at the Anniversary Celebration, I was lucky enough to have Dan's brother C. Ochovittles helping me cook - so all I did was bring the marinated meat, and while I was busy cutting & roasting potatoes, he cooked it on the grill.  He also cut it, which is something I always struggled with as you must cut on a bias. 

It's good to have brother-in-laws :)

Anyway we all enjoyed this thoroughly, and I hope you do too!

Marinated Flank Steak
  • one flank steak (size is your choice)
  • 1 1/2 C. oil
  • 3/4 C. soy sauce
  • 1/4 C. Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 T. dry mustard
  • 2 1/4 t. salt
  • 1 T. ground pepper
  • 1/2 C. red wine vinegar
  • 1 1/2 t. dried parsley
  • 2 crushed garlic cloves
  • 1/3 C. lemon juice

Combine all ingredients in large casserole dish or Ziploc bag & mix well.

Score steak lightly with a knife in a criss-cross pattern on both sides, and marinate overnight.

Broil or grill on high, about 5-7 minutes on the first side then flip and cook additional 2-5 minutes for rare to medium rare.

Transfer steak to cutting board, and tent loosely with foil.  Allow to rest 5 minutes.  Slice thin on a bias across the grain.

Note: The marinade can be saved in refrigerator & re-used within a week, or frozen for later use.

Recipe Origin Unknown

2 comments:

  1. I just wish a happy life and many many happy returns of the day. This picture is really sweet and its really lovely to have time for blogging despite of awesome life event. lovely !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us readers! I will definately try these and hoping to give you an amazing feedback!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments!

If you have a question or problem you can also feel free to email me at vittlesandbits@gmail.com. Thanks for visiting :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...